DigitSmith

need help to start simple embroidery business

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 25th, 2009, 04:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
collegekid1 collegekid1 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date:
Mar 2009
Posts:
3
Liked:
0 times
Default need help to start simple embroidery business

Hello everyone

I'm so glad i ran into this site. I'm a college student and i've been looking around for ways to start a business an d make some money to reduce my loans. Please help me with ideas of how i can lock into the embroidery business by tapping into the student body here at school as my customers. I was looking at the brother PE 700 II machine to start off. Please please please am new at this...i badly need your help.
Thanks in advance.
Send a private message to collegekid1 ContactReply & Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Worn Id Worn Id is offline
Senior Member

Worn Id's Avatar
Join Date:
Jan 2009
Location:
Aurora, NE
Posts:
132
Liked:
1 times
Default Re: need help to start simple embroidery business

Do you know how to digitize? If you can get a fresh version of your school logo you might try putting it on a handful of polos or hoodies and handing them out to your friends... nothing like a walking billboard to help you out in your type of enviroment.

When ever we make a new screen design that we want the school to see, we make 3-4 shirts to put on our kids. It places one new shirt in each building! We did this for state FB this year and sold over 750 pieces of 3 designs!! For embroidery, I just created a new version of the schools logo, put it on 3 different type of items, including a jacket which I personally wear and I have gotton inquirys AND orders!

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Laurie
__________________
WORN IDENTI-TEES
wornid@yahoo.com
Send a private message to Worn Id ContactReply & Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 01:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
collegekid1 collegekid1 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date:
Mar 2009
Posts:
3
Liked:
0 times
Default Re: need help to start simple embroidery business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worn Id
Do you know how to digitize? If you can get a fresh version of your school logo you might try putting it on a handful of polos or hoodies and handing them out to your friends... nothing like a walking billboard to help you out in your type of enviroment.

When ever we make a new screen design that we want the school to see, we make 3-4 shirts to put on our kids. It places one new shirt in each building! We did this for state FB this year and sold over 750 pieces of 3 designs!! For embroidery, I just created a new version of the schools logo, put it on 3 different type of items, including a jacket which I personally wear and I have gotton inquirys AND orders!

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Laurie
Thanks a lot for your reply. It opened my eyes about the possibilities. I don't have any digitizing experience. which one do u think is the best digitizing software? And do you think i should start a website with a couple of designs to get sneak preview of my potential customers before i invest some hard earned savings into embroidering?
Send a private message to collegekid1 ContactReply & Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Worn Id Worn Id is offline
Senior Member

Worn Id's Avatar
Join Date:
Jan 2009
Location:
Aurora, NE
Posts:
132
Liked:
1 times
Default Re: need help to start simple embroidery business

The better softwares are going to cost you a bit.
Wilcom or WINGS are your best bets that I am aware of.
I have neither and work with a very barberic program that has made learning interesting to say the least! Another option is to have someone digitize for you, there are some great places out there that are inexpensive and very good. I just had something done a couple weeks ago, as I couldn't do what I wanted to or needed to in my current software.
That way you could create your website and see what kind of a reaction you get.

Although I firmly believe you will get better results if you have actual product!
You can look at something online and say, "Hey thats pretty cool" and that be the end of it. You hand something to the same person, to touch and see... they say "This is awesome, how much?"

Embroidery is a BIG investment. We bought an exsisting business and have been up and running for 1 1/2 years now... its tough with the ecnomy for sure. That is why I am still working with acient stuff... can't afford to upgrad yet! I love the work though so I continue to just make it happen as I can. Good Luck and let me know if you have any other questions!!

Laurie
__________________
WORN IDENTI-TEES
wornid@yahoo.com
Send a private message to Worn Id ContactReply & Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
collegekid1 collegekid1 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date:
Mar 2009
Posts:
3
Liked:
0 times
Default Re: need help to start simple embroidery business

I was thinking of maybe investing in learning how to digitize so i can tap into the market for people who need to get their designs digitized. i was planning maybe getting a not so expensive software program but modern software to get me started and then maybe get a small machine to start off with and just take small orders and when that gets kicked off- i could buy the commercialized machines. For now i just really need to get something going to bring in some income to avoid being in deep hole of debt after graduation. O and by the way if i didn't say this before - i really truly appreciate your comments ad suggestions. Thanks
Send a private message to collegekid1 ContactReply & Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Worn Id Worn Id is offline
Senior Member

Worn Id's Avatar
Join Date:
Jan 2009
Location:
Aurora, NE
Posts:
132
Liked:
1 times
Default Re: need help to start simple embroidery business

Your Welcome and Good Luck!

Laurie
__________________
WORN IDENTI-TEES
wornid@yahoo.com
Send a private message to Worn Id ContactReply & Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 12:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
pittaok pittaok is offline
Junior Member
Join Date:
Nov 2009
Posts:
3
Liked:
0 times
Default Re: need help to start simple embroidery business

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid1
Hello everyone

I'm so glad i ran into this site. I'm a college student and i've been looking around for ways to start a business an d make some money to reduce my loans. Please help me with ideas of how i can lock into the embroidery business by tapping into the student body here at school as my customers. I was looking at the brother PE 700 II machine to start off. Please please please am new at this...i badly need your help.
Thanks in advance.
Keep in mind, you cant just have your college logo digitized and start embroidering shirts with the school logo.. There are trademark issues. These home embroidery machines are nice but can be tough gettting the shirt hooped. They are great for one or 2 pieces but any kind of business embroiderying, these home machines are not the way to go.
Send a private message to pittaok ContactReply & Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 12:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
pittaok pittaok is offline
Junior Member
Join Date:
Nov 2009
Posts:
3
Liked:
0 times
Default Re: need help to start simple embroidery business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worn Id
Do you know how to digitize? If you can get a fresh version of your school logo you might try putting it on a handful of polos or hoodies and handing them out to your friends... nothing like a walking billboard to help you out in your type of enviroment.

When ever we make a new screen design that we want the school to see, we make 3-4 shirts to put on our kids. It places one new shirt in each building! We did this for state FB this year and sold over 750 pieces of 3 designs!! For embroidery, I just created a new version of the schools logo, put it on 3 different type of items, including a jacket which I personally wear and I have gotton inquirys AND orders!

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Laurie
you can open yourself up to a lawsuit with trademark issues. We sew for many college bookstores and we pay to use the college logo. Every piece we sell, we have to pay the school,, so be careful and they will go after you
Send a private message to pittaok ContactReply & Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 01:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
pittaok pittaok is offline
Junior Member
Join Date:
Nov 2009
Posts:
3
Liked:
0 times
Default Re: need help to start simple embroidery business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worn Id
The better softwares are going to cost you a bit.
Wilcom or WINGS are your best bets that I am aware of.
I have neither and work with a very barberic program that has made learning interesting to say the least! Another option is to have someone digitize for you, there are some great places out there that are inexpensive and very good. I just had something done a couple weeks ago, as I couldn't do what I wanted to or needed to in my current software.
That way you could create your website and see what kind of a reaction you get.

Although I firmly believe you will get better results if you have actual product!
You can look at something online and say, "Hey thats pretty cool" and that be the end of it. You hand something to the same person, to touch and see... they say "This is awesome, how much?"

Embroidery is a BIG investment. We bought an exsisting business and have been up and running for 1 1/2 years now... its tough with the ecnomy for sure. That is why I am still working with acient stuff... can't afford to upgrad yet! I love the work though so I continue to just make it happen as I can. Good Luck and let me know if you have any other questions!!

Laurie
dont even think about digitizing until after a year of sewing,, you would be wasting your time and money. we have 4 stations of the top of the line Wilcom and it does take years to learn. Send the digitizing out and learn how the logo was made beore you even think about wasting your money on a digitizing package
Send a private message to pittaok ContactReply & Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
NateKerra NateKerra is offline
Junior Member

NateKerra's Avatar
Join Date:
Aug 2009
Posts:
7
Liked:
0 times
Default Re: need help to start simple embroidery business

Okay if you are going to be listening to any one on the forum, pay attention to me, You can do it! I can't go over everything and you know that but I can help you in the beiusness part of it, please take a look at, http://www.bootstrapbusiness.org/, before you start any financial things.
__________________
Here is some embroidery applique, Its the type I prefer.
Send a private message to NateKerra ContactReply & Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All you need to start your own Embroidery Business emachine0755 Old Embroidery Ads 1 February 17th, 2008 07:21 PM
single head, 12 thread embroidery machine for sell(Great for business start up) Jtree242006 Old Embroidery Ads 5 April 22nd, 2007 02:32 AM
single head, 12 thread embroidery machine for sell(Great for business start up) Jtree242006 Old Embroidery Ads 1 March 15th, 2007 03:03 PM
Start your Embroidery Business from Tajima TEHX C1501: Machine for Sale geosunny@hotmail.com Old Embroidery Ads 9 November 22nd, 2006 12:08 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:25 PM.
Copyright © 2011 DigitSmith. All rights reserved.
Forums software by VBulletin, Copyright © 2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.