DigitSmith

T1 How do you improve your digitizing?

Like Tree4Likes

Old January 5th, 2017, 09:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Liked:
181 times
Default T1 How do you improve your digitizing?

Starting a new thing... question of the week every Thursday. lol

How do you go about improving your digitizing ability? Do you do anything in specific or just go with the idea that the longer you are in it, the more designs you do, the better you will naturally become? ( not sure I agree time served equals quality gained though )

Classes scheduled for this year? (local sewing center? Industrial brand 3 day courses? etc)
Tradeshow lectures this year? (ISS shows?, Tabletop shows?)
Do you order designs from other digitizers you like and watch how they do things?
Do you do the same design multiple ways as an exercise? (running stitch borders vs satin? stacked satins vs flat fills? etc)
Subscribe to any blogs or other forums?
Practice coming up with new patterns or be creative with foam or screen with emb? etc?

What do you personally plan to do this year to get better, if anything?

thanks in advance for your responses!
Send a private message to Robert Young ContactReply & Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Liked:
181 times
Default Re: T1 How do you improve your digitizing?

One thing I found that worked to improve my own digitizing was to become a digitizing trainer. We only know what we know... but having a brand new person ask questions really makes you know all aspects of your software and forces you to formulate reasons that you can express as to why you do this or that method.

Trainees want to know EVERY button and what it does, etc.
Old January 10th, 2017, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Liked:
60 times

this could be fun!

a couple of months ago i started a "for fun" project. kinda. texmac asked me to digitizing something for them to run at shows. that's how it got started anyway. but i tried to use some of the fancy/different stitches in wilcom that my old software didn't have (i switched to wilcom in july).

my plan this year, is to actually sit and go through the bazillion page manual that comes with it and learn more of the features that it has. i've got the basics down, but i know that i'm not using nearly all the tools and toys. i'm sure it will definitely be a learning experience! i also plan on creating more fonts and redoing some of the things in the keyboard fonts that i'm not crazy about that i use a good bit.
Old January 10th, 2017, 06:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Liked:
60 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Young View Post
Classes scheduled for this year? (local sewing center? Industrial brand 3 day courses? etc)
Tradeshow lectures this year? (ISS shows?, Tabletop shows?)
Do you order designs from other digitizers you like and watch how they do things?
Do you do the same design multiple ways as an exercise? (running stitch borders vs satin? stacked satins vs flat fills? etc)
Subscribe to any blogs or other forums?
Practice coming up with new patterns or be creative with foam or screen with emb? etc?
forgot to respond to the other stuff...
i've been to trade shows, but never been to a digitizing class...tho i probably should have. it probably would have speeded up the learning curve. too late now tho i think.

no, never ordered a design from another digitizer...but i get enough of them that i have to fix/redo...so they're typically an excellent lesson on "what NOT to do". early on tho, i did have a couple of seasoned digitizers that would take a look at my awful work and give me pointers. thank you Tom at Strawberry Stitch, and Bonnie at Moonlight!

don't do designs different ways...pretty much knows what works and what doesnt, but i do subscribe here and to t-shirtforums.com
Old January 11th, 2017, 09:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Liked:
181 times

We sewed out everything that came standard in our digitizing software... and also did samples on every fabric that came along... lines and text.. you can see in the upper right our tensions and underlays. All this to determine the best combination for our clients. Full coverage with the fewest stitches.

It is a science for those that care
Attached Thumbnails
T1 How do you improve your digitizing?-dig-options.jpg   T1 How do you improve your digitizing?-test-files.jpg  
Old January 11th, 2017, 09:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Liked:
181 times

here are examples of doing the same design 3 different ways... stitchcounts are varied as well as customer approvals. Open to what they actually like. But without instruction this can show how almost any design can be done different ways.
Attached Thumbnails
T1 How do you improve your digitizing?-3-ways-two.jpg   T1 How do you improve your digitizing?-3-different-ways.jpg  
Old January 11th, 2017, 09:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Liked:
181 times

Same color sewn at 15 degree changes. The color really can change, or your perception of it that is. Especially if client is super PMS color picky like American Express can be! You look at it 3 feet away if it is for a hat or left chest, and 6 feet away if it is a jacket back or larger. (personal space) you DO NOT get within 2 eyeballs from it and pick with a paperclip! Have seen that done more than I care to admit. lol
Attached Thumbnails
T1 How do you improve your digitizing?-angles-color.jpg  
Old January 11th, 2017, 08:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Liked:
0 times

I've been trying to figure out this question every time I have a new item to digitize. I open digitized embroidery in my digitizing software and watch it stitch out to teach myself. I've been to my digitizing software class and found a few tutorials online but a lot of the time it seems that the lesson covers more on how digitizing software works and not the actual digitizing "rules". This is the best site I've found to "talk" with actual digitizers and read their input (thanks!) and not just embroiderers. I don't digitize for my "bread and butter" but it is truly a passion I enjoy. I would like to just talk about the digitizing processes. Is this the best place for that?

Here is what I am working on solving now. I am digitizing a very simple solid stylized letter. Shirt logo size. My problem is that I'm not getting a sharp stitched out edge. I digitized an outline around the letter to get sharp edges but I don't want that look. I tried three stitch directions in my tatami fill and that didn't solve my edge problem. I would like to have the design denser on the edge but I'm not sure how to do that. Any suggestions would be appreciated! I am using Wilcom e3.
Send a private message to diana35758 ContactReply & Quote
Old January 12th, 2017, 08:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Liked:
0 times

Very interesting Robert. Would you please explain the meaning of the numbers to the left of the density numbers? It appears to reference the underlay, but I cannot make sense of them. Obviously we all use different digitizing programs and perhaps measurement units, so I assume that may be the reason ?? I need you as my instructor!!
Thanks for sharing your ideas!
Send a private message to cwheelock ContactReply & Quote
Old January 12th, 2017, 11:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

Liked:
181 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwheelock View Post
Would you please explain the meaning of the numbers to the left of the density numbers?

Hi, those numbers are the actual stitchcount. so we can look at the sewout and pick the line that looks the best with the lowest stitchcount. So we could never be charged with "padding" the design with stitches because we treat it like a science.