DigitSmith

T13 How do you store your Thread?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By digidana

Old April 27th, 2017, 12:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Liked:
181 times
Default T13 How do you store your Thread?

Hi all!

How do you store your embroidery threads?

On the wall?

In cardboard or plastic boxes/bins?

On shelves or in drawers?

Cones only or lots of spools as well?

Different method for your metallics or supertwists etc?

Same colors in different weights kept together or do you store your 30/40/50/60/75 wts separately?
Send a private message to Robert Young ContactReply & Quote
Old April 27th, 2017, 01:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Liked:
18 times
Default Re: T13 How do you store your Thread?

I have 1 bin for specialty, Everything else is stored on some custom made shelfs (made from recovered sign materials) spaced just tall enough to fit madeira cones 5-6 in line. Organized by color in such a way that you wouldn't accidentally grab the wrong color that was "close" in shade.

I have since been told a storage cupboard would be better for longevity of threads but I would have to find one with a lot of shelves.

I also have a suggested method of thread rotation for use with multiheads to minimize costs over time and maximize quality.

When you have 4-6 cones of colors and 4-6 heads inevitably you end up with odd number runs where you don't run the cones out evenly. In that situation always use the fullest cones first. Eventually you will rotate out more evenly instead of needing just 1 cone every couple of months to fill the machine. you usually get discounts for buying colors in quantity so you don't have to buy as often (shipping costs) and you save money by hitting price breaks.

As for the quality. all thread ages. If you are always using the emptiest cone first you end up with 1 cone that sits around for years which has aged to the point that it breaks apart during stitching. Rotating cones ensures even stitch quality and age. (the only exceptions to this rule are Black/White which usually stay on the machine and you run through a dozen or two of those a year)

(note the best way to test if thread has aged uncoil some thread till its across the center of the cone and then pull against it if the thread on the cone compresses more than 1-3mm its probably old... and usually snaps in your hand as well)
Send a private message to ltpemb ContactReply & Quote
Old April 27th, 2017, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Liked:
60 times

a customer of mine put a ton of nails in his wall....lots of storage!

we kind of did the same thing. we have every color of royal and madiera, so we just went down the color chart so they're in order that way. we have one board for royal, and this is the madiera one. its only a single head, so it works:
smason likes this.
Old April 28th, 2017, 08:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Liked:
1 times

I use peg board very easy to get to plus you can see what colors you have
Send a private message to smason ContactReply & Quote
Old July 12th, 2017, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Liked:
47 times

We got a kitchenmaker to make cupboards with shelves and doors on them. Keep the thread in the boxes in numerical sequence so we can find it easily off the shade cards by number. Start at Madeira Rayon, then through Polyneon, Sulky, Kingstar and then Coats by Brand, Type, and then numbers. The thing is the shelves keep it tidy, but the doors keep it all dust free, and as well it keeps the light off which can make it degrade in colour and strength so less breakages on the machine. I really rate storing thread as important as oiling the machine so it runs without stopping and you can access repeat job colours quickly by number.
Send a private message to Printwizard ContactReply & Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 10:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Liked:
15 times

I use wall racks for 40 weight and containers for 60 weight. Color families are grouped together.

Custom Embroidered Polo Shirts with your logo

Embroidered Button Down Shirts no minimum
Send a private message to SunEmbroidery ContactReply & Quote