DigitSmith

T19 Are their clients you will not do work for?

Old June 21st, 2017, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Liked:
181 times
Default T19 Are their clients you will not do work for?

Now I am not talking about social or religious taboos... Things you might be embarrassed to be associated with your business. (think hate based groups or religious issues you want to avoid)

I am referring to things like this:

you are in a town that has two high schools would you do work for BOTH football teams? Would you feel if you did you could lose one or both clients if they found out?

For that matter any rival businesses in the same town... will you do both or pick one to show your loyalty to that client in hopes to keep them longer?

We do work for interior designers... I CANNOT do work for another designer in the same town (pick any town) and expect to keep either client if they found out. They point blank tell me that we are in their arsenal of abilities and they do not want others to have the same. So we cannot show ANY work we do for ANY of them ... hard to build a portfolio unless you do Extra work after hours to create imaginary items to show.
Send a private message to Robert Young ContactReply & Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 10:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Liked:
181 times
Default Re: T19 Are their clients you will not do work for?

and of course I misspelled THERE !
Old June 21st, 2017, 11:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Liked:
9 times

Truly it depends on Companies, I do mainly public schools, and they do not care, However, now they have gotten so greedy, that they find somebody from online to embroidery for them, and want to make money for their pocket(Literally, that what they told me).
Send a private message to ayugup ContactReply & Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 02:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Liked:
60 times

as far as i know i've never had that problem. just the opposite. most of the business i've gotten, especially in the beginning, was from word of mouth. the only time i could see that being a problem is if you were giving one designer designs that you've created for the other. which would be really unethical. business is business. kind of like having several wedding venues using the same photographer. i don't see a conflict.
Old June 21st, 2017, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Liked:
181 times

no seriously I have to sign non disclosure agreements! I am not able to show anything on any medium work we have done. Really gets my goat when I open a magazine and see OUR embroidery on a chair or bedspread and the designer gets ALL the credit.

The money is such that I am too afraid to force the issue. YEP... SELLOUT!! lol

I don't think the wedding analogy works. those are one hit wonders who will never see each other probably. Designers are active in the area, HUNTING for work, ha. Multiple hit wonders that are competing for the same projects.
Old June 21st, 2017, 10:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Liked:
18 times

The answer is both yes and no. I don't want to do work with them so I offer them insane pricing... Occasionally they bite on it and then I don't mind working with them.
Send a private message to ltpemb ContactReply & Quote